Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Written Assignment #2 - Personal Care Product

I chose to look at my shampoo Head & Shoulders Classic Clean 2-in-1




List of some of the high-toxicity ingredients:

  • Fragrance - High hazard. Ecotoxicology, allergies/immunotoxicity, irritant, organ system toxicity.
  • Methylisothiazolinone - High hazard. Ecotoxicology, neurotoxicity.
  • Methylchloroisothiazolinone - Moderate hazard. Cancer, ecotoxicology, irritant.
After doing some research, I found that methylchloroisothiazolinone is a preservative commonly used in cosmetics. Upon further investigation I found that the ingredient is also used in glue production, detergents, paints, fuels, and other industrial processes. I found that pretty disturbing considering I'm lathering this stuff into my hair almost everyday. In the United States they have accepted concentrations of the ingredient for personal care products, which makes me question if long-term use could result in a build up of the chemical on or even in the skin. The most disturbing aspect of this discovery is the fact that this is only one ingredient in a single care product. I'm certain that most of my choices in personal care products have ingredients I should be concerned about. On top of this, I question the majority of my food products and other goods such as clothing or bedding. 

To be honest, I don't feel comfortable using this product in my daily hygiene routine anymore. Once I finish my current bottle of shampoo I will seek a substitute product with less harmful, or at least questionable, ingredients. After seeking out this information, and discovering the possible dangers of my everyday personal care products, I will be taking a look at the rest of my hygienic goods (body wash, face wash, tooth paste, deodorant, etc.) to determine what else I've been applying to my body everyday.

Citations:
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703924/METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE/
http://orgs.dermis.net/content/e05eecdrg/e05news/e686/e706/index_ger.html

1 comment:

  1. Could you add a citation so that we know what "research" your are talking about?? 40/50 points

    ReplyDelete